Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Quilter of the Month: Lindsay C!

Welcome to the second installment of IMQG's Quilter of the Month.
Name, blog/etsy shop, hometown, current location

Lindsay Conner
http://www.lindsaysews.com
http://www.craftbuds.com
From Columbus, OH
Live in Anderson, IN

What sewing machine do you use? Do you like it?
I sew on a Singer 7467, and I love it! I bought it for myself on Black Friday, and it has all the functionality I need as a sewist, until I get the urge to splurge on a fancy Janome.

Where do you sew? What’s your space look like?
I live in an 1898 historic home in downtown Anderson. Up until last summer, my husband and I rented out space in the very large house to cut costs and share life with our community of friends.

But since it's just us now, I do enjoy having my own sewing room! It's nothing fancy, but I do like the curtains that I edged in Amy Butler fabric. Here's what part of my room looks like when it's tidy.

Tell me about your first quilting experience.
My first quilt was sewn for the heck of it, and I ended up gifting it to a friend for her first baby (to use as a play mat). I bought a Moda 1984 charm pack on eBay for less than $5 and used a disappearing 9-patch pattern, although I didn't know what it was called back then. I also didn't understand how binding worked, so I just cut the quilt back large enough to "roll to the front" and cover my batting. It was a hot mess, but has survived to this day and is well loved. :)


What is your favorite part of making a quilt?
Fabric shopping! And choosing which fabrics will go together.

What is your most dreaded part of making a quilt?
Quilting the layers. Probably because my machine doesn't have a very wide neck, and I've never been very adventurous with this process.

6. What’s your favorite fabric line of all time?
I don't know about "all time," but right now I am obsessed with anything by Momo. Especially those Wonderland scissors.

What fabric trend are you most excited about?
Solids!

Where are your favorite brick and mortar quilt shops?
Always in Stitches in Noblesville, especially for their 40% off clearance section and fat quarter sales each month on the 25th. I also shop JoAnn's with coupons.

What are your favorite online fabric shops?
Sew Fresh Fabrics and Crafty Girls Workshop have sponsored some giveaways for me, and I've loved how nice they are to work with. Also, I dig Missouri Quilt Company's Daily Deal Alert, although I've yet to cave and purchase any.

What time of day do you usually sew? Do you listen to music, or watch TV?
I typically sew on the weekends, all day Saturday and all day Sunday if I can get away with it! I like to sew in front of the TV, but that requires lugging all of my stuff downstairs, so I only do this if I'm going to make a day out of it.

Do you have any sewing or quilting injuries?
Yes, I have at least one or two burn marks from ironing.

What are your favorite crafty blogs and/or Etsy shops?
Too many to list. I subscribe to a TON of craft and sewing blogs, especially since I started theCraft Buds blog with my friend Mary. I like to stay on top of what is happening out there--I'd say that craft blogging is as much a passion for me as actually sewing.

What do you love most about IMQG?
Meeting other people who love fabric as much as I do. Quilters rock.


Do you sew/make other things besides quilts?
Yes, I sew stuffed animals (like this little guy), bags and some clothing.

I recently whipped up this dress!

Do you want to share any sneak peaks of anything you're working on?
Here's a sneak peek of the bottled rainbows quilt I'm working on. Thanks for getting to know me!

Thanks, Lindsay!
If you have any questions for Lindsay, or want to be featured as our Quilter of the Month, please let us know in the comments.

2 comments: