Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Quilter of the Month: Gretchen!

Gretchen is our May Quilter of the Month! Be sure to check out her Flickr page for beautiful quilty pictures!



Mandatory: Name, blog/etsy shop, hometown, current location
Gretchen Fisher My etsy shop is GretchenFisher@etsy.com
I'm from here, and I've left the East side for a small stint in Portland, OR and during my college days I lived downtown. Mostly, I never leave the East side.


What sewing machine do you use? Does it have a name? Do you like it?


I have a Viking Emerald. No, I'm too boring to name my machine, or my car, or even a couple of my chickens. I've met people that name everything, though, and I'm a tad envious of their ability to personalize an inanimate object.



Where do you sew? What’s your space look like?


Oh, this is a good one. I've been in a closet for years. Some of the closets have been smaller than others, but just two days ago, I moved my machine to my spare room. I feel so free. I've only told a few people about my coming out....



Tell me about your first quilting experience.


I've been making quilts for babies since I was in high school. Just simple 4" squares. My quilts, up until recently, have all been tied, rather than quilted. I have a chest full of similar quilts from my Grandma, and my mom always did hers the same way. I guess I was just doing what I knew.



What’s your dream machine?


A jaguar? Ummmmm... I really don't have high aspirations from my machines. They must go forward, and sometimes backward. I've done some buttons, some blind stitches, and recently bought a darning foot to try a little free motion. I'm not into the fancy stuff, so until this Viking poops out, I like it just fine.



What is your favorite part of making a quilt?


OH! All of it. Sometimes I start with a pattern idea and pick fabrics that work with it. Other times I start with fabric and hunt down a favorite pattern from my Flickr inspirations. I do a lot of pattern hacking. I like cutting. I like piecing. I like chain sewing. I even like the down time to hand stitch binding. I love making quilts!



What is your most dreaded part of making a quilt?


Oh, okay, so maybe there is one thing I don't care for. I don't like the sandwiching. To sandwich, for me, means moving furniture and shop vac-ing the floor and maybe even washing up my feet after a frolick (sp?) in the garden so that I can throw down and get busy with my batting, front, back and those persnickety little safety pins.



Do you have any great tips and tricks you want to share?


No, not really. YouTube is a great tool for how to videos..... I'd rather a person go there than to watch or listen to me. I'm afraid I'm a little DIY crazy, and my methods surely don't follow the normal protocol.


Where are your favorite brick and mortar quilt shops?

There is one. The Fabric Depot. It's in Portland, and I go once a year. I'm usually there for a big tent sale on Memorial Day weekend. I've never been let down.

What are your favorite online fabric shops?

uh oh. I started out with Fabricworm and have been pretty loyal there. I also like Pink Chalk Fabrics, Sew Mama Sew, and the Fat Quarter Shop. I have a little secret co-op of sorts through flickr where I spend insane amounts of money.

What time of day do you usually sew? Do you listen to music, or watch TV?

I do a little bit of sewing almost every day. If I can get away with it, I won't shower on the weekends.... I'll just sew. It's gross. I might do a load of laundry or something, but I can be maniacal in my sewing regimens. TV is a sleep tool for me, so I stay away from it, but I do occasionally enjoy pandora listening while I sew.

Do you have any sewing or quilting injuries?

Ha, like do I still have all my digits? No, I don't have injuries other than a big booty and a muffin top. Too much sitting. (See previous question.)

What are your favorite crafty blogs and/or Etsy shops?

Oh, I have too many blogs in my google reader. It's partly about the crazy talent out there, and partly about being a bit voyeuristic. I can't believe the things people will share with absolute strangers! I love etsy and tend to get sucked in and find things I convince myself I can't live without, so I've developed an understanding with myself to never set foot in the site unless I'm hunting a gift and have an idea what I'm looking for.

What's your favorite kona cotton color?

I'm in the greys right now.... but I think I'm going to move to curry, mustard and yarrow soon. I was thinking about how to buy a whole bolt of curry.....

What do you love most about IMQG?

Well, I have a bit of an anxiety problem.... (have you caught on that I'm a complete introvert yet?)... so I'm really glad that I've gone to the last two meetings. I'm happy to meet sewing geeks, and go gaga over cute fabric and cool ways to put pieces together. It's nice to have someone to share those same likes with, and not feel like a complete spinster.

Do you sew/make other things besides quilts?

Yes. Bags, curtains, pillows, coasters, shower curtains, you name it, I'll try my hand at it.

What's your favorite project you've completed?

I have so many favorites. When I'm super excited about a quilt it's usually one that ends up staying with me. I have a stack that are ALL MINE.

Do you want to share any sneak peaks of anything you're working on?
You can see all my new stuff on Flickr. Just check me out at "bigredoscardog". I don't usually post work in progress, though.

1 comment:

  1. Funny responses! I feel like I know Gretchen better already!

    ReplyDelete