Friday, September 11, 2015

Quilter of the Month September 2015: Meghan Eschbaugh

Time for our next Quilter of the Month! IMQG member Meghan Eschbaugh!


Name:  Meghan C. Eschbaugh
Blog: calvinandcarolyn.wordpress.com
Instagram: eschbaugh
Hometown: Fruitport, Michigan    
Current Location: 
Carmel, Indiana

What sewing machine do you use? Does it have a name? Do you like it?
My first sewing machine was a basic mechanical EuroPro that my Mom gave me when I was in college.  I struggled with that machine a lot until I bought my current machine, a Pfaff Expression 3.0, which is a dream come true.  She doesn’t have a name, but she is decorated with several stickers from various artists and bands.  I also stole my Mom’s older Pfaff Quilt Expressions, which I use as my travel machine.  I love both of “my” Pfaffs! 




Where do you sew? What’s your space look like?
My current sewing space is lovingly referred to as the sweat shop or the sewing cave.  It is a windowless 8 foot by 8 foot den that is open to our living room in our tiny apartment.  It is stuffed full, but I love it.  I can sit at my machine and sew and still see/talk to my husband in the living room.  It lets me get lots of sewing done and doesn’t keep me isolated.


What makes you a modern quilter?

I don’t actually think of myself as a “modern quilter”.  I just think of myself as a quilter…or seamstress (I like to do the occasional garment sewing).  I recently had the opportunity to view the 19 Stars quilt exhibit at the Indiana State Museum.  I was far more drawn to the “traditional” quilts than the “modern” ones.  I think that people cling too closely to the strict categories of quilting.  I like lots of different types of quilts and I have made lots of different types of quilts.  I am a member of the Modern Quilt Guild because I enjoy the company and activities of the Guild and its members.


Tell me about your first quilting experience.
I come from a family of quilters (my mom and my paternal grandmother and great-grandmother), but I didn’t started quilting until after I graduated college in 2006.  At the time I was living in Anchorage Alaska, and a co-worker had a beautiful lone star quilt hanging on her office wall that I admired.  I was into knitting, and a local knitting shop also sold quilting fabric and supplies.  So during a trip to get some yarn I picked up some fabric and a magazine and got to work.  I ended up making a small lap quilt for my sister…entirely by hand (pieced, quilted and bound) because my Euro-Pro sewing machine was in storage in Oklahoma at the time. 

Four Generations of Quilts


What's your dream machine?
My dream machine would have to be the new Pfaff Expression 4.2.  What I wouldn’t give for built in thread snips. 


What is your favorite part of making a quilt?
I would say my favorite part is quilt top assembly.  I like the math of measuring, cutting, and sewing a quilt top together.  It’s the engineer in me. 

What is your most dreaded part of making a quilt?
Anyone who has met me in a sewing capacity knows…I hate binding quilts. 

Do you have any great tips and tricks you want to share?
I would say my biggest tip is don’t be afraid to pitch/donate something if it doesn’t turn out the way you had dreamed.  I can’t tell you how many things I have hung onto over the years that I hated, but I just couldn’t let go of.  A while back I decided to just get rid of the stuff that I am not in love with.  It is liberating and allows me to be more creative and grow as an “artist”. 


Where are your favorite brick and mortar quilt shops?
My favorite shops are my local shops, Crimson Tate and the French Seam. 


What are your favorite online fabric shops?

I don’t do a lot of shopping on-line, but when I do I can always find what I need from HawthorneThreads.com 


What time of day do you usually sew? Do you listen to music, or watch TV?

Unfortunately I have a grown-up, out-of-the-house, day-time job (i.e. I don’t get paid to sew or quilt), so I generally only sew at night and on the weekends.  I almost always have something playing on my laptop via Hulu or Netflix.  Right now I am making my way through all the old Star Trek Next Generations episodes. 


Do you have any sewing or quilting injuries?
I cannot tell you how many times I have cut the end of my left index finger off.  It is covered in scars and has almost no feeling now. 

What are you favorite crafty blogs and/or Etsy shops?
Film in the Fridge  was the first real “Modern” sewing blog I found.  It is probably one of the reasons I started quilting. I am also a big fan of Oh, Fransson .  And for Garment sewing I love Coletterie 


What's your favorite Kona Cotton color?
Any shade of blue…or wasabi


What do you love most about IMQG?
The people, hands down.  And show-and-tell. 



Do you sew/make other things besides quilts?
I do like to make bags and garments.  I recently made my wedding dress (it wasn’t a fancy gown), and my husband’s bow-tie.  Still haven’t gone through all the wedding photos, but here is a fun camera-phone shot.   




What's your favorite project you've completed?

I made a quilt that is a map of the lower peninsula of Michigan a couple of years ago.  It is a queen size and was made improvisationally.  It is, hands down, my favorite quilt and the one I am most proud of.  I also have my IMQG Round Robin quilt and a quilt that was made with a quilting bee I was a member of.  Those are my favorites because of all the love that went into making them from my sewing friends. 









Thanks again Meghan for being our Quilter of the Month!












No comments:

Post a Comment